Virechana (Purgation Therapy) by Veda5, Best Ayurveda & Yoga Wellness Retreat in Rishikesh, Kerala & Goa, India
Virechana is one of the Panchakarma therapies
Virechana is one of the Panchakarma therapies wherein purgation is induced by drugs and it specifically aims at the elimination of excessive Pitta from their site in the liver, gall bladder, and small intestine (it does not deal with the large intestine). The bitter purgatives are used depending on the concern. This purification therapy is preferred for Pitta and liver disorders (e.g., gall stones). According to Ashtanga Hridayam, the time of purgation is after Vamana (emesis), and after 9:00a.m. (the end of the Kapha time of the day).
The assessment of Virechana is based on various parameters termed as Shuddhi (cleansing) criteria like Vaigiki (number of bouts of stool passed), Manaki (quantitative measurement of stools), Laingiki (symptoms based assessment), and Antyaki (assessment based on end point of purgation) Shuddhi. The Doshas eliminated are classified on the basis of number of bouts of evacuation as low, medium, and high quantities (i.e., Hina, Madhyama, and Uttamshuddhi). These are 10, 20, and 30 times respectively. After purgation in such high numbers, if there is an electrolyte imbalance, it needs to be evaluated and the levels are to be compared before and after Virechana therapy.
Benefits of Virechana
- In case of accumulation of Pitta dosha, Virechana help in detoxifying the body.
- Virechan helps patients with heart disease, asthma and diabetes.
- It is also beneficial for treating problems like piles, constipation, jaundice and inflamations.
- Virechan helps in deep cleaning of the whole gastrointestinal tract. It also cleans the body from poisoning.
- Various skins disorders and allergies can cure easily by virechana treatment.
The procedure of Virechanakarma is performed in three steps
1. Poorvakarma (Preparatory procedures) is to be performed before the main therapy, which includes Deepana and Pachana (use of appetizers and digestives drugs) followed by Snehapana (oral administration of medicated ghee) for 3-7 days as per the Koshtha (nature of bowel) of the patient until achieving features of adequate oleation. This is followed by Abhyanga (external application of oil) and Swedana (sudation) for next 3 days.
2. Pradhanakarma (Main procedure), which means administration of Virechana drug as per the disease, Bala (strength), and Koshtha of the patient.
3. Pashchatakarma (Postoperative procedures) also known as Sansarjanakrama, in which the patient is advised for specific code of conduct and dietary regimens for 3-7 days depending upon the number of bouts of bowel evacuated after administering Virechana drug.
Virechana is not recommended for those people with recent fevers; weak digestion; bleeding diseases of downward nature like haemorrhoids; rectum ulcers; diarrhea; hardened feces; TB patients; children; old people; pregnant women; during or immediately before menstruation; who have recently received a decoction enema; with prolapse of the stomach or uterus.
World Class Ayurveda & Yoga Retreats
Veda5 Ayurveda & Yoga retreats are located in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala. The wellness retreats are run by highly-experienced doctors and offer authentic treatments and customized care for each guest. Veda5 Yoga and Meditation retreats are led by experts and the sessions range from gentle to vigorous to stretch, strengthen, balance and improve the body and mind.
Veda5 Naturals manufactures high-quality Ayurveda and Herbal wellness products formulated in the Himalayas that are natural, non-toxic and unadulterated without synthetic and inorganic chemicals. Please explore and shop our wide range of products on www.veda5naturals.com Veda5 Naturals products also make as great gifts.
Please see the Packages menu on our website to learn in detail about Veda5’s well-designed Ayurveda and Yoga wellness and vacation packages in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala for which our guests come from around the world to India.
Click here to learn more about wellness through traditional Ayurveda and Yoga in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala.
Click here to send us your booking requirements. You’re welcome to contact us for more details.
Veda5 looks forward to hosting you soon!