Jala Neti Procedure & Precautions by Veda5 Retreat in Rishikesh, Kerala & Goa, India
What is Jala Neti?
Jala Neti is one of the purification kriyas of yoga which is dedicated to the cleansing of the nasal passage.
Materials required :-
- Jala Neti Pot
- Luke-warm Water
Pre-procedure of Jala Neti
- Take 1 pint (16 ounces or around 500 ml) of lukewarm water
- Generally, a solution consists of salinity 1 teaspoon / 500 ml is considered ideal for the nose (you can go with 1/2 or even 1/4 teaspoon of salt)
- Mix salt properly in water and then pour it into the neti pot.
Procedure of Jala Neti
- Add a half teaspoon of salt into the Neti pot filled with sterile lukewarm water.
- Stand with your legs apart and hold the pot in your right hand.
- Now by slightly tilting your head towards the left, insert the nozzle of the Neti pot in your right nostril.
- Start pouring water in the right nostril slowly by breathing normally through your mouth.
- Allow the flow till the Neti pot is empty.
- Repeat the same procedure from your left nostril
Notes on Jala Neti
- In the whole process of using the neti pot, open your mouth to breath gently through it. Avoid nasal breathing throughout the whole process of using the neti pot.
- After finishing with both the nostrils, remember to clear the remaining water particles by active exhalation through alternate nostrils as in Kapalabhati.
- If still left with mucus and a blocked nose, can repeat the whole procedure again.
Drying of the Nostrils
After draining the water from both nostrils, the proper drying of the nose is necessary to prevent cold, infection in the sinus or Eustachian tubes of the ear. It may also result in a mild headache if the nose doesn’t get dried up.
- Stand upright and bend forwards from the waist
- Keep your head upside down with the nose pointing towards the floor, In this way, any leftover water is drained from the nose
- Point the nose towards the knees.
- For about 10 times, inhale from the mouth and exhale from the nose in each position.
- The water residues may run down.
- Stand up and breath rapidly through the nostrils for about 10 consecutive breathes. Sniff in and out.
- Focus on the exhalation.
- Use one finger to close off the right nostril and breathe through the left and vice versa.
- Breathe through both the nostrils for 10 times.
Repeat until the nose gets properly dried.
Precautions related to Jala Neti
Jal Neti should be avoided if the practitioner has undergone a recent ear or nose surgery. It is not advised to practice Jal Neti if a person has a bleeding nose due to any nasal difficulty.
Moreover, when doing it the very first time, jal neti should be done only under the guidance of an expert yoga teacher.
Practitioners should always ensure that their nostrils are completely dry after practising Jal Neti. If any water droplets remain in the nasal passage, they can cause headaches.
People who have high blood pressure should be careful while drying their noses. If the drying process is done forcefully, there is a chance they feel dizzy.
Stages and Benefits
Learn about the stages and benefits of Jala Neti in our this article https://www.vedafive.com/jala-neti-stages-benefits-by-veda5-retreat-in-rishikesh-kerala-goa-india/
Ayurveda Doctors at Veda5
Ayurvedic management and treatment is possible only under the supervision of qualified and expert doctors.
At Veda5 Ayurveda & Yoga Retreat in Rishikesh, Kerala and Goa, India, we will give you the team of Ayurvedic experts who will help you to manage and treat alcoholism and change your life with their expertise.
Best Ayurveda & Yoga Retreat in India
Guests from around the world have rated Veda5 as a top Ayurveda and Yoga retreat in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala, India. Veda5 offers a holistic approach to health and wellness. By focusing on balance and harmony between the mind, body, and spirit, Ayurveda and Yoga aim to promote optimal health and disease prevention. From massage and detoxification to diet and lifestyle recommendations, Ayurveda offers a wide range of natural therapies that can help support overall health and wellness.
World Class Ayurveda & Yoga Retreats
Veda5 Ayurveda & Yoga retreats are located in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala. The wellness retreats are run by highly-experienced doctors and offer authentic treatments and customized care for each guest. Veda5 Yoga and Meditation retreats are led by experts and the sessions range from gentle to vigorous to stretch, strengthen, balance and improve the body and mind.
Veda5 Naturals manufactures high-quality Ayurveda and Herbal wellness products formulated in the Himalayas that are natural, non-toxic and unadulterated without synthetic and inorganic chemicals. Please explore and shop our wide range of products on www.veda5naturals.com Veda5 Naturals products also make as great gifts.
Please see the Packages menu on our website to learn in detail about Veda5’s well-designed Ayurveda and Yoga wellness and vacation packages in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala for which our guests come from around the world to India.
Click here to learn more about wellness through traditional Ayurveda and Yoga in Rishikesh, Goa and Kerala.
Veda5 looks forward to hosting you soon!